If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Surfer Dude

I sat outside the coffee shop tonight with my friend Greg. Last time I'll be seeing him for a while. He's just about ready to get back to Indiana, college; that end of life that is characterized by looking to the future. It's funny, but I feel like I see life from a very similar point of view. It was a strange surprise one night realizing that Greg is the same age as my oldest son.

Many years ago a very wise older couple told me that if you don't keep making friends with younger people you risk looking around one day and finding that all your friends are dead. Greg has been an excellent choice. He brought me a bone carving from Tonga, a stylized surfer currently hanging around my neck. As I sat on the patio at the coffee shop in my shorts, tee shirt, and flip flops it seemed a perfect fit. I think this little surfer dude will be with me for a long time. Greg, I'm assuming you will be too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home