If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Spam Warrior

How do I get myself into these things? Well, actually I know how I got myself into this. There was this banner ad that I just couldn't resist. You know the kind; hit the target and win a free whatever. Of course you have to subscribe to 'we will spam you into oblivion' to actually get the free whatever. But it was 'punch out George W Bush'; little boxing gloves and GW dodging back and forth. It was a moment of weakness.

Okay, I admit it. I've actually enjoyed the spam war that I got myself into. It's a challenge to unsubscribe faster than they can spread my address to other lists, and it's interesting to see where these things lead, and who is doing what. A couple of the battles have been particularly amusing.

I threatened Publisher's Clearing House. Their spam does not include an 'unsubscribe' link, which I honestly believe is required by law. I never got around to researching it, I just sent them an e-mail that said it is required by law and since they didn't have one if they didn't get me off their list in three days I would pursue legal action. I got a very nice e-mail back in about two hours saying that I had been removed from their list.

This morning's adventure is the PayPal warning scam. It's a very official looking notice from PayPal saying that my account has been frozen due to suspicious activity, with a link to reverify my information and get reactivated. I sent them my PayPal password. I'm not sure how far they will get with 'nice try you evil mother****er', but they are welcome to give it a shot. I actually haven't opened a Paypal account yet, so it was pretty easy for me to spot the hoax. I don't know what I'll pick for a password, but I know what it won't be. Meanwhile the e-mail has been forwarded to spoof@paypal.com. Their security people seem to take these things pretty seriously. Since the thing is full of links the perpetrators can't be impossible to track; though they can make it difficult. I hope jackbooted storm troopers are kicking their doors in as I write. Everyone check your bulk folders and forward your Paypal hoax e-mails. The more they have to work with the better chance the storm troopers find their target.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,
Thanks for the tip. I actually received an email form ebay's lost prevention. They told me of this seller who I actually bid on one of his items. Anyway, he ended up being a thief or whatever they say he has privacy rights even after being a thief to the site and potentially me. Luckily I didn't win the item. Anyway thanks again for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home