If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Promotion

Promotion? I didn't even know I had a job! Oh, not that kind of promotion...

Some people I suppose write their blogs the way people keep a diary. They just write for the sake of writing, and maybe don't even realize that anyone with the address can read what they post. Of course if they never give the address to anyone and keep it off the various scan lists they have little to worry about. In the bazillion words floating around the net their little secrets are probably pretty safe. So are mine, and they aren't meant to be secrets.

I don't write for the sake of writing, I write to be read! And there comes a moment where if I didn't know there were readers I'd probably not write. Okay, comes a lot of those moments. But in those moments I know I have readers, and that gets me through. So where did they come from? How did they find my words among the zillions? Not by accident, mostly.

Another advantage of the topical blog; whatever your interest you are not alone. I write serial fiction based in the world of a computer game. I searched out bulletin boards and forums related to the game and got on there and hawked my ass off. Then I did the same thing with fantasy/science fiction forums. Then I posted an author's note asking my readers to send the link to their friends. It looked like this:

Hey you readers, send this link to your friends: http://timsownthing.blogspot.com

Well...it was a little more diplomatic, but you get the idea...and by the way if that worked and you are here because someone sent you that link leave me a comment!

Bottom line....promote your blog, even if it's just telling your friends and family to read it as a way to make up for your bad habit of not answering your e-mail. Save up some readers for the rainy day where you really don't have it in you to write just for the sake of writing.

2 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Marsha Loftis said...

Your on my favorites list. : )

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only that, but if you promote yourself and someone likes what they read, chances are that they'll tell their friends about it too... ;)

Hey Tim, I'm back from vacationing and catching up on my reading.

-Bravo

PS - You're on my favorites/bookmarks/whatchamacallits list too... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home