If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Friday, April 08, 2005

Hello? I Know You're Out There!

End of the week and a last thing about getting going with a blog. I'm gonna have to go back to thinking about what to write about from day to day. Ah well, it has been a nice vacation.

It is completely possible for me to delude myself into almost anything...sometimes. Telling myself 'hey, a whole bunch of people are reading my blog' could have been on the delusion list. But the first time I really didn't feel like writing, like all good delusions it would have instantly changed to suit my purpose...becoming 'heck, no one reads it anyway' and supporting taking a nap or whatever other project had just risen to high priority.
So here is how to avoid the delusion. It is a widespread tried and true solution, for lots of things besides blogs. Statistics. What a miserable word. Bleeeeech, as we would say in the comics. But in the wonderful world of the internet statistics takes on a whole new meaning....because someone else takes care of them! Gotta love that!

I use a service called 'statcounter'. It's free. Gives me the cool rolling counter gizmo down there at the bottom of the page (leave a message if you are reader number 1000 by the way). It also gives me a list of all sorts of top secret information about my readers. That includes you, since you are here. Things like what country you are from, so I can call myself an internationally acclaimed writer. Also what operating system you use, so I can watch for myself how the battle against big Bill is going. (For those that don't know, he won.) Anyway, statcounter is really easy to use. They give you code that you just paste into your template. There are lots of others out there I'm sure, and they are probably just as easy.

So there you have it. If one person starts a successful blog after reading this I will call it an unparalleled victory, even if they would have done it anyway. I'm not completely averse to delusion, after all.

1 Comments:

At 4:30 AM, Blogger Marsha Loftis said...

I'm reading, I'm reading. (standing up to declare) "You are one of my favorite writers."

Madie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home