If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Heat Is On

The conversation in southern California has shifted from mudslides to brushfires. I don't know what it is about people that keeps us so powerfully focused on the disaster du jour but there certainly doesn't seem to be anything that can distract us, at least not for long.

I've lived in California for most of my life and;
Never met anyone who lost their house in a mudslide.
Never met anyone who lost their house in a brush fire.
Never met anyone who lost their house in an earthquake.

I'm not saying these things don't happen. I know they do. They are just all so unlikely. I'd rather talk about space aliens and the return of Elvis to Graceland. Slightly less likely? I suppose. A lot more interesting though, and when they are all so unlikely I think interesting should be the deciding factor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home