If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Chessplayer

When I was in the navy I did my time on a submarine. Men, in the prime years of hormone madness, trapped in a very confined space under high stress with no women. How to not kill each other was a daily question. We played a lot of chess. Being able to sit down, armed with exactly the same pieces as an enemy, with no opportunity for wayward luck to intervene, provided something vital.

I'm not quite as intense about it now, though when I'm having a bad day I go to Yahoo Chess with the stated intention to 'take some scalps'. On those days my rating tends to rise pretty fast. Testosterone still works I guess.

When people ask how I got to be a good chessplayer I tell them it's pretty simple. I've lost more games than they have. I've lost more games than they likely ever will. My brother taught me to play when I was six, and beat me like a drum until I was seventeen. I lived with his family for a while when I was seventeen and we both had off-shore oil jobs...so when we were on shore we could just hang out and play forty or fifty games a day...and often did. I learned a lot about life across that board...and I lost games beyond counting.

My life since then has given me lots of opportunities to lose chess games, and as Darth Vader says 'then I was but the learner, now I am the master'. I play chess on line with my brother, and I don't go soft since it is chess, but every time I beat him I think about how much I owe him for those early lessons. Thanks my brother.

3 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Alan Gurling said...

Wow. Nice read. :)

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the brother, Ed. After reading his observations on chess, I regretted not having retained my chess skills, while Tim has honed his to a razor edge. Yes, he beats me nowadays. Thanks to the internet we can play even though we are thousands of miles apart. We can chat too, as we play. Tim used it to taunt me during our next game about a pawn that was closing in on his king. "You don't think I'm afraid of that pawn do you? What fun to respond "NO, but how about a QUEEN?" As I used it to beat him like a drum, just like the good old days.
Life is good.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks G! And thanks Ed for visiting...naturally on the day you won!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home