If you got here through some happy accident right click and save this link! Tim's Own Thing Blog

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Last Samurai

A great film that I saw again this last weekend. My girlfriend had never seen it, which made for a good excuse, but this one I would watch over again without any excuse required. Watching with her was great though. It gave me a chance to really think about things in more depth than I might otherwise.

The samurai lived to serve the Emperor. In the end they died for the Emperor before he would listen to their advice. He didn't completely trust what they lived for, but when they died for it there could be no question. My observation, that is still a truth; you can tell what someone lives for if you can find out what they are willing to die for. You might not like it, but at least you know.

My complaint about the modern world is that life has taken on such sanctity that many people wouldn't die for anything, and get upset by those who will. Astronauts didn't shut down the space program when a few of them died for it, bureaucrats did. Fighting men honor their commitments when some of their fellows are killed in action, even though their 'leaders' brave no danger whatsoever. For the many there isn't anything they would die for.

My question; if there isn't anything worth dying for, what are we living for?

1 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question, and great movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home